Hi, I’m Kay and I used to run away from myself and into romantic relationships.
I craved approval from men and would settle for being treated like crap, because I was already treating myself that way.
I eventually realised that no amount of external approval would ever fill the emptiness or pain I was feeling. That there really is no shortcut and if I want to feel better about myself and my life I have to put in some (a lot of) conscious effort in creating healthy changes.
The most important relationship we will ever have is the one with ourselves.
It’s so important for me, even now to constantly practise things that help me to be kinder to myself like:
- Checking in with myself on a regular basis and listening to my body.
- Daily meditation practise (I use the Headspace app for guided meditation and Insight Timer app for silent meditation)
- Daily journaling. Some prompts that I like to use: 1) What am I grateful for? 2) My Higher Self is… 3) What made me feel calm today? 4) What’s on my mind? 5) What am I trying not to feel? 6) What went well today/this week/this month?
- Setting healthy boundaries with people/work/social media
- Going to bed early and having a nighttime routine that doesn’t stimulate my brain too much (AKA no emails, less/no social media)
- Being my own cheerleader. Positive self-talk. Acknowledging and appreciating my achievements and how far I’ve come.
- Moving my body for fun! Not to make it look any different.
- Having fun and not taking life too seriously.
These are some of the things that I practise and have practised for years now!
When you’re beginning your self-love journey it’s important to even stick to just one thing that allows you to be kinder to yourself. You don’t have to have a massive list!
As you start practising and getting used to your new habits, then you can gradually add more things to your self-love list.
I would LOVE to hear what helps you to be kinder to yourself? If you’re not sure what this might be, ask yourself what would your future Self thank you for?
The BE YOUR OWN SOULMATE TEE (pictured above and modeled by me) is now officially available in my shop. Check out my Sustainable Clothing Line – merchandise to help raise mental health awareness